What is the role of a student journalist?

by 3:24 PM 0 comments
Video Below


*This post was written for a newly created district website at my school. I will link to it when available (called CBLearns365). There is a lot of potential for the blog and who (and what) it can impact!

I am a journalism adviser. I don’t see myself as a teacher, but a sharer of responsibility. In the five years I have been teaching, I have only had to work a handful of times. And, I came from the journalism field. I have a degree (because experience needs validation), and I have met famous people (a requirement for being recognized in our society).


I also write exactly how I think (and the use of parentheses is important to me).


But why is this important? Because when I was asked to write a blog post for CBLearns365, my focus was a question: “What is the role of a student journalist?” And I needed to break it down.


To me, I want the role of a student journalist to be that of a learner and a problem-solver. Writing is important, but getting to the meat of a story is better. And I thought, “Where is the meat of my question?”

Students.

So I brought the question to the kids. I collaborated with them, and I wanted the kids to be a part of the process… of my thinking process. This is what we created:


Our journalism program has a long and rich history. I am only a part of it. The students in this video are an even smaller part of it. But as educators, we are able to impact the history of our school, and more importantly our students’ lives.

So, what is the role of the student journalist? It is that of a student impacting and remembering our (collectively as a school and as a body) daily history.

Lindquist

Author

I do a lot of things. The best thing I do is fathering (I think). I'm the ol' "Jack of all trades, Master of none." I teach aspiring journalists. I run. I play guitar(s). I also host a running podcast. Oh, and I dabble in drawing. And I dabble in authoring... children's books no less. I just dabble. Sometimes I ramble.

0 comments:

Post a Comment